We will discuss Phase Three in class today using these approaches:
- The Top Twenty Errors in Undergraduate Writing
by the Hume Center for Writing and Speaking at Stanford University
- Three Important Questions for any Sentence:
- Is this sentence clear?
- Am I making a clear argument rather than asking questions or providing sterile information?
- Is the tone of this sentence academic?
3. Five Keys to More Effective Editing:
- Reduce wordiness
- Reduce pronouns and replace with more specific words
- Reduce use of “to be” verb constructions
- Focus attention on sentence completion issues (fragments, run ons, and comma splices)
- Rebuild sentences that start with There, It, or That