To prepare for our Wednesday, Aug. 17, class please read:
- “Consciousness in Human-Level Artificial Intelligence” by Murray Shanahan (our reading for CRA1)
- “There Will Come Soft Rains” by Ray Bradbury
We will talk about the appropriate formatting for our Class Reading Activity (CRA) in our video class on Wednesday, but come to the video class prepared to discuss the following:
- Two prepared questions about the definition(s) of consciousness in Shanahan
- One outside source (not an encyclopedia source or Wikipeia page) that gives background on a term in the Shanahan reading
We will discuss both readings in our Wednesday, Aug. 19, video meeting along with the appropriate way to format a CRA activity.
Update 8/19: Here are some readings we’ll be getting into for the next three weeks, just so that you can be prepared:
- Disney/Pixar’s film Wall-E (available on Disney Plus), by Wednesday, 8/26
- Stephen Petersen’s essay “The Ethics of Robot Servitude” (2007), by Wednesday, 8/26
- Katherine Hayles’s “Conclusion: What Does It Mean to Be Posthuman,” the concluding chapter of her book How We Became Posthuman: Virtual Bodies in Cybernetics, Literature, and Informatics (1999), by Wednesday, 8/26
- Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (required text for purchase), complete half of the novel by Wednesday, 9/2, and the remainder by Wednesday, 9/9.