To prepare for our Wednesday, Aug. 17, class please read the following short story from 2013:
We will talk about the appropriate formatting for our Class Reading Activity (CRA) in our video class on Wednesday, but come to the video class prepared to discuss the following:
- Two prepared observations about the structure of Chiang’s story; and
- One outside source (not an encyclopedia source or Wikipeia page) that helps in your understanding of the story (content, ideas, author, publication, etc.).
We will discuss the reading in our Wednesday, Aug. 19, video meeting along with the appropriate way to format a CRA activity.
Update 8/19: I want to forecast some of the longer readings we’ll be doing in the next three weeks. Next week, we’ll be diving into theory, and the week after we’ll be starting our first novel. I may be adding other smaller readings, but these are the important ones to get started on:
- Hayden White’s essay “The Value of Narrativity in the Representation of Reality” (1980), complete by next Wednesday, 8/26.
- Jan Christoph Meister’s essay “Narratology” (2016), complete by next Wednesday, 8/26.
- Louise Erdrich’s novel Tracks (required text for purchase), complete half of the novel by Wednesday, 9/2, and the other half by Wednesday, 9/9.